Your children are subject to the same regulations as you.  

If the country you are travelling to requires a passport and visa, your children must have their own.

Before setting out, prepare for your trip by following our advice




New regulations are in place since 1 January 2013 concerning minors leaving the country.

An authorisation to leave the country from the City Hall or prefecture is no longer required.

Individual authorisations to leave the country (city hall) or collective (prefecture) are no longer required.

A French minor may travel alone with the identity papers required by the country of destination (national identity card in the European Union, passport outside the European Union).

A legal procedure (IST) and an administrative procedure for emergency cases (OST) have been reinforced to ensure the protection of minors if a situation arises.

 To find out more: The french autority document.

 (in French)